“The week’ s Trifecta Monday prompt: the third definition of the word – Phantom:
- Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
- You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
- The word itself needs to be included in your response.
- You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
- Only one entry per writer.
- If your post doesn’t meet our requirements, please leave your link in the comments section, not in the linkz.
It was a wonderful day as days go, just riding down the highway of delight. I’d thought to visit my home town, but thenI discovered that home town was a phantom idea born in some dream that should have been my reality. Memories and fantasies all mixed up in a deceitful blend to create what should have been my past.
Riding down Main street, I didn’t recognize a single shop or tree. In my mind’s eye I remembered the courthouse in the centre of town, as well as Woolworth’s and the movie theatre, but now I couldn’t identify them. The streets even seemed smaller, more congested. There was a shabbiness that was disconcerting. The streets were clean, but the buildings seemed older than even some of the older buildings one finds in Europe.
Someone once said, you can never return home. I think that afternoon, driving through my home town, which I hadn’t seen in nearly 50 years, I came to understand this reality. My home town doesn’t exist, except as a name on a map and a phantom of my memory; the reality is that it has nothing to do with me.
Word count: 194