The Albums (Haibun)
Jason looked at the baby pictures in the album his mother’d left him. There he was…a toddler, surrounded by toys. Later on, laying in the grass, the old family cat asleep with him. He’d loved that cat…Misca was its name. Each photo a return to some far off age, memories. His first day at school, his first camping experience with the scouts, and there was the Christmas of ’60 when he got his first “typewriter”, a funny bit of flimsy metal with a dial to pick out the letters.
Years passed each special moment immortalized in a photo. Each photo placed lovingly in a book for him by his mother, now gone, yet, looking at the albums she seemed so near.
At seventy he realized that many of the people and scenes in the photos were gone forever. Misca didn’t survive his childhood, his best friend in the third grade had died in Vietnam. There, a photo of Emily, his first love, his first wife…the love story had died and they divorced way back in the 80s, she too was gone now. His three daughters, now mothers and indeed, his eldest a new grandmother!
Clothes had changed, the city had changed and of course he had changed too. He could barely believe that the time had slipped by so quickly, yet, as he looked at his wrinkled hand, there was no denying it.
What does getting old mean? What does life mean? He pondered as he looked through other albums, put together in different periods of his life. How young he’d been, how immortal he’d felt. He smiled, a little melancholy, but thankful that his mom had thought to create these little books of memories.
Funny, he really didn’t feel any different than when he was, say, fifteen. He just had more memories…well, maybe he had a less problems then back then. He certainly wasn’t worried about what people thought about him. That had been a big problem for him back then, long overcome. However, the voice in his mind was the same, then as now.
He put the old albums back in their boxes and went to his desk. The bottom right hand drawer was full of photos. Michelle’s first bath, Jane playing with a rag doll and Cher’s snowman. He began to divide the photographs into piles and then he pulled out the virgin albums that had been sitting in the closet for years. He began to document the history of his daughter’s lives, something they could look through in a distant future, something to remember that would give them joy. In the meantime, he went through his own past, remembering…his little girls.
Here, my girls he thought, your inheritance.
age upon age
life buds then blooms
until the harvest
For our Weekly Writing Challlenge – fiction writers, cultivate a character. Through your imagination, pinpoint a common theme in his or her life, and show us how your character’s perspective changes as he or she grows older.
For the truly adventurous, we challenge you to try hitting two challenges with one stone, er, post. Combine this week’s photo challenge.
Here are some other Writing Challenges:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- along the hem of | y
- Age Illusions and Disillusions: Men and Women Turning Thirty (Weekly Writing Challenge) | Ana Linden
- Mourning the end of a Chapter | A Fit and Focused Future
- Premiere… | Words ‘n Pics…
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years | The Willows Weeped
- A Hand Across the Ages | Toss the Typewriter
- That Age Old Question | Life’s Unfiltered Ramblings
- You know those giant pill holders? I have one. | poema
- The 18th of August 1941 – Germantown, Maryland | Forgotten Correspondence
- Things I cannot change | Lesie’s World
- The Golden Years | Starting Write Now
- A Soundtrack to the Ageing Process | Fun with Depression
- Golden Years | Jennifer Paige
- The Loss of Youth | adventures in adulting*
- Weekly Writing Challenge:Golden Years | Simply about Life
- Sorry Stevie | fifty5words
- Middle March | Love in the Spaces
- Oh No! I’ve Turned Into My Own Mom Parenting A Child Who Is Just Like Me | . . . Furthest Sense
- Effectively Ageless | rarasaur
- Golden Years | hello from Sandy
- Positive(ly) thought(less) | soulfoood
- Into the unknown | Colour the moment
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years | Purplesus’ Blog
- Age ain’t nothin’ but a number… | The Mrs. Z Files
- On Being Where I Am | Imperfect Happiness
- The Sociopath At The High School Reunion | Glorious Results Of A Misspent Youth
- Maybe Not | Glorious Results Of A Misspent Youth
- My own individual, stubborn, uncooperative often self-centered nature that still doubts itself | An Upturned Soul
- DP Challenge: How I made myself old | one hundred thousand beats per day
- Playing the Generation Game | I’m Drew Llew, how do you do?
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years, 13.03.14 | Markie’s Daily Blog
- My Memories – Oops, I Mean Memoirs – Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years | writesomethingtoday
- I’m Young, Get Over It | Victim to Charm
- Centenary Sparkle | litadoolan
- Weekly Writing Challenge – Golden Years | Joe’s Musings
- It’s All a State of Mind | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years | MAGGIE’S BLOG
- Golden Years | Random & Real
- Recess | Arriving at Departure
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years | Contemplating Death | undefined by design
- Age is an illusion… | Danubelle
- What Does Age Say About You? | Stuphblog
- Puffing and Panting. | Trucker Turning Write
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years |
- What is it about 40? | Forty, c’est Fantastique !
- Waiting For The Golden Years | Life in a Basket
- Finding Our Way | Icelandica
- Aging the American Way – Evelyne Holingue
- goldenage | walktalk
- No Inspiration | Live, Love and Danc
and here photos:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London | Janaline’s world journey
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | draliman on life
- Inside a Vietnamese Brick Kiln | Ron Mayhew’s Blog
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Weekly photo challenge: Inside | Mochilis Reloaded
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Inside | Journeys with Johnbo
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Stefano Scheda
- WPC: INSIDE | MY WALL
- Dive Inside a Pistachio Dream « Austin Details Art + Photo
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | My Photolanguage
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Khana’s Web
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Humbled Pie
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | blogagaini
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Inside | La chica de la burbuja
- dollop | yi-ching lin photography
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Danny’s Photographs
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | The Panama Adventure
- Inside a Book | Momdeavor
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Chronicles of Illusions
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | roastbeefandrakija
- photography ~~ inside (weekly photo challenge) | vintage french chic
- weekly photo challenge: inside | Curls n Skirls
- WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside (featuring Romeo) | picturingpositive
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Thrifty Finn
- More than a Game | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Inside #2: on the constuction of social space | Zimmerbitch: age is just a (biggish) number
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Inside [the rearview mirror] | ISENGRAPHER™
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Photoblog
- Adam Ickes | Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside
- I believe I will stay inside and watch the Robots | Photography Journal Blog
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | MightWar
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Michele D’Acosta
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside | Celia in Tokyo
- Still Life Studies Inside Glass (Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside) | The San Francisco Scene–Seen!
- Inside/Outside | Filling my bag with gear
- INSIDE LOOKING OUT, OUTSIDE LOOKING IN | SERENDIPITY
- Weekly Photo Challenge–Inside | A New Day Dawns
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside #2 | Jinan Daily Photo